Honoring Family with Family this July 4th




(AP Photo/Kamenko Pajic)


 Honoring Family with Family this July 4th


We will watch the fireworks together at night and get to bed after a great day. But for my plans to be truly patriotic, I need to do more than hang an American-flag-printed banner over the picnic table. I need to reflect, remember and honor those who have and are currently serving in our country’s armed forces.

Our troops fiercely fight for our freedoms each day. Many of us can only imagine what it is like to be deployed, to go months or even years without seeing those we love most in this world. 

For many, it is hard to grasp how these people feel. To better understand their experiences, I looked online for the stories of those serving this country. I came across “Stories of Service,” an enlightening series of short videos by PBS.

 One clip that I found showed me how deployment is difficult not only for the soldier, but also for their families. They make sacrifices that often go unsung. 

Kids are asked to move, spouses are expected to function as single-parents, even giving birth without their spouse present. Parents of military members wake everyday knowing their children are in harm’s way. Looking into the experiences of military families helped me grow my appreciation for our troops and our country.

We can do many things to “support the troops.” One of those should be to honor the families of our soldiers who sacrifice and have sacrificed. 

As I celebrate America with my family and friends this Fourth of July, I will surely place gratitude and respect at the center of our day, and I hope you do the same.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing up too soon!

Back To School: a third of students will be bullied. Here is what we can do about it.

School Security Measures for Safe Learning Environments