Mom's latest adventure- I Seriously Didn't Think I Had it in me any More!

We went to Ashdown for Thanksgiving this year. Rebekah asked me to come catch the horse that no body else on the property can catch or ride.  She said, "Mom, I know you can catch him.  You're really good with horses."  Here was the faith of this sweet daughter of mine, what was I suppose to say?'  I knew I had a huge job ahead of me, but I no longer felt qualified.   I said, "Rebekah, it's been thirty years since I touched a horse! If they can't catch and ride their own horse I don't think I'll be able to either."  She said, "Mom, I know you'll be able to catch him, please come try."  It took me probably an  hour and I finally had his bridle on.  Once that was done I thought, "Okay, if we're getting on this horse, I'm not putting a saddle on him if he's not going to let us ride him."  So, I threw my self up, on to that horse, and he just stood there. I was so relieved when I realized  I was still on him and not on my head on the ground.  I was so excited!! I had so much fun riding that horse! It brought back so many memories from my childhood.  Riding my horse was by far my favorite thing to do as a kid.  I think I was probably 8 years old when I started riding horses, maybe even younger.  I rode every day until I was probably 13 years old.  Then we moved across town and my horse had to go live in my grandpa's back yard.  After that, I rode every chance I got, until I was 16 years old.  I don't remember ever getting on my horse again after my 16th birthday.  But, the years I rode were very happy years.  I loved my horses.  I started riding a little light brown Shetland pony.  Then my dad bought my brother Keven a horse named, Fella.  I remember watching Kevin teach that horse to rear back wards.  He looked like a wild horseman.  I so wanted to be a brave rider like him.  It wasn't long before I was riding Fella more than my brother.  I was either jumping on the trampoline or riding my horse.  I think every little girl needs to have a horse.  There's no better way to keep a kid grounded than to give her a horse.  They are so loyal and so incredibly easy to bond with.  Looking back now, I am so thankful I had my horse to bond with because I couldn't seem to bond with any body else.  I spent countless hours dreaming about the person I wanted to become while riding that horse all over Riverton and South Jordan, Utah.  As I was riding through the fields today, I  was thinking about the qualities I have now and there's no doubt in my mind having my horse  allowed those qualities to be planted and to bloom during those years.  Qualities that I am so thankful I have today.  Qualities that I would literally be lost with out. One of the first things  that came to my mind was how difficult it is to ride a horse.  I can still remember having to steady those horses.  They are easily spooked and very temperamental   You can't give up while riding a horse.  You have to face each challenge that comes, sometimes every couple minutes, head on and with courage.  If you don't face each of the trials the horse throws your way; with courage, the horse can literally sense it and you will be thrown from the horse in no time at all, or you just won't be able to guide  him in the desired direction you want him to go in. He will out stubborn you if he figures out you are not strong wheeled.  I can't even begin to list all the trials I have been through that have taken courage, determination and a strong wheel.  My blog is full of examples of life changing trials that I was only able to press forward through and become a better person from, because of the qualities I learned while riding my horses. It's midnight, I can't keep my eyes open another second, more later on the topic that made me feel so reflective today....


   




Popular posts from this blog

Growing up too soon!

Back To School: a third of students will be bullied. Here is what we can do about it.

Miracle While Visiting Teaching